HVAC Technician Licensing and Training Arizona

HVAC contractors must be licensed by the state  of Arizona in residential, commercial or residential/commercial practices. Each classification requires a passing score on a two-part exam . Residential HVAC contractors must pass the C-39 exam, commercial contractors  the K-39 exam, and combination residential/commercial contractors must take the L-39 exam.

For all exams, you must knowledge of business management. The second portion of the “-39” series exam differs depending on focus area, as examinees must prove their knowledge of residential-, commercial- or residential/commercial-related practices. In all cases, the test-taker must have at least 4 years of previous relevant experience and pay a state-required bond based on what they expect to earn in annual revenue. License fees are the primary point of difference, as residential, commercial and residential/commercial HVAC exams and corresponding licenses vary in price.

  • C-39 license requires a fee of $320.00
  • K-39 license requires a fee of $645.00
  • L-39 license requires a fee of $1,125.00

Detailed licensing application instructions can be found HERE.


HVAC Job Average Salary in Arizona Reported at Indeed.com



Other HVAC Job Salaries in Arizona.




State of Arizon HVAC Licensing Contact Information

1700 W. Washington St. Suite 105
Phoenix, Arizona 85007-2812
Telephone: (602) 542-1525
FAX: (602) 542-1599

Telephone Numbers:
(602) 542-1525
Toll Free outside Maricopa County within Arizona: 1-877-MY AZROC (1-877-692-9762)
TTD for Hearing Impaired (602) 542-1588
FAX: (602) 542-1599